Thursday 7 January 2016

APA/APB: Adaptation, Professional Practice Project.

Today started the second term's project. Adaptation. This project is again split into two projects, a 4 week and a 15 week. APA, Adaptation Part A, is the four week project where we picked out a sentence from the infamous blue box and this sentence was our starting point in creating a info-graphic. I received: ''How to survive ______''. A cliché statement, but a pretty simple concept to work from. The task given after this was to come up with ten answers to the blank in our sentence, these will be selected tomorrow by our peers. As Phil would put it, I did get fireworks in my feet, as I have experiences with info-graphics, as I have attempted them in the past. I was excited, an very much relieved, to hear that it doesn't need to be made in maya (fist pumps the air). I can use flash and after effects to create my submission. I came up with a lot of ideas, over 10 words/statements to fill that gap. The top ten however are:
  1. Zombie Apocalypse.
  2. Relationships.
  3. University.
  4.  The end of the world.
  5. Bullying.
  6. Comic Con.
  7. Every day life.
  8. Marriage
  9. Criticism. 
  10. An alien invasion/abduction.
I know, even though I haven't got my sentence set yet, but I have an idea for the ''opening sequence''. I picture the title ''How to Survive:'' In bold white letters on a light background. A think white line proceeds it and a set of words begin to rotate into the space, the background changing colour and the words bringing images to associate with them. I would use the list above and when it comes to the topic that I get I will stop the reel on that and emphasises it's selection some how. From there it will be a sequence of events that explains how to survive it, either in a number series or in bullet points. 

The second project, APB, Adaptation part B is the long 15 week project that requires me to selected a piece of non-visual context and transcribe it into a visual space in 3D. We're allowed to use a majority of everything, but avoiding the tropes and generic fairytale and fantasies. I have a few ideas in my head but until the first discussions with Alan start I am not to sure if they are feasible. 

The main idea I was thinking about is a story I liked from an animation I saw. Not the animations story but the actual original story it was adapted from. Te story is about a dog called Balto. Balto is a Siberian husky who is made famous by his efforts in saving children suffering from Diphtheria in Nome, Alaska in 1925. The story unfolds to make out that Balto was the hero, even though he and his team only finished the last leg of the run. It was another dog sled team names Togo who transported the serum to cure the children through the longest and more dangerous part of the course. There has been debate as to why Balto was also given fame, with a statue in Central park, New York, and not Togo. Or even both of them, even though the statue commemorates all the dogs and the drivers who took part recollection. But that aspect of it, the fact that if the dogs were rational thinkers, Togo and Balto would not be likely friends. This could make a really good story. The animation titled Balto, makes Balto out to be a half-wolf half-husky outcast who tries out to be a part of the team to go and get the serum from the Anchorage check point. The rival dog Steel makes it so that he doesn't. This conflict is similar but essentially, Balto goes and rescues the team, rather than what is the real story where him and his team take the serum its last leg. 

Other ideas include the tale of Pochahontas, the non-disney version.  Or possibly something from a poem or too. I can defiantly say I've took a more direct approach to this project, despite what I've been experiencing at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment